Last Updated: April 30, 2014
Gather Digital complies with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries and Switzerland. Gather Digital has certified that it adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, please visit http://www.export.gov/safeharbor/
Gather Digital encourages consumers to first address complaints to the organization. If Gather Digital cannot resolve the complaint, Gather Digital is committed to:
1. Use the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR), a division of the American Arbitration Association (AAA), to resolve disputes (information about ICDR can be found at https://www.icdr.org/icdr/faces/icdrservices/safeharbor )
2. Cooperate and comply with the EU Data Protection Authorities (DPAs) and the Swiss Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner (FDPIC) to investigate unresolved complaints.
- The EU DPAs may be contacted directly via the information provided at http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/eu/index_en.htm.
- The FDPIC may be contacted directly via the information provided at http://www.edoeb.admin.ch/index.html?lang=en
Information we collect about you
In General. We may collect personal information that can identify you such as your name and e-mail address and other information that you or our conference-planning client provides to us. We may also collect information that does not identify you. When you provide personal information through our Service or through our website, the information may be sent to servers located in the United States and other countries around the world.
- Information you provide. We may collect and store any personal information you enter on our Service or website or provide to us in some other manner, including through our conference-planning clients. This includes identifying information, such as your name, e-mail address and image. We, directly or through our conference-planning clients, also may request information about your interests and activities, your location (such as ZIP code and/or country), and other demographic or profile information and we may ask you to complete a survey.
- Information from other sources. We may also periodically obtain both personal and non-personal information about you from our conference-planning clients, business partners, contractors, and other third parties and add it to our account information or other information we have collected. Examples of information that we may receive include: updated delivery and address information, your place of work, your professional title and additional demographic information.
- Information collected automatically. We automatically collect information from your mobile browser and device when you visit our Service. This information may include your device type, browser type and language, access times, the content of any undeleted cookies that your browser previously accepted from us, and any referring website address.
- Cookies. When you visit our Service, we may assign your mobile device one or more cookies to facilitate access to our Service and to personalize your experience. Through the use of a cookie, we also may automatically collect information about your activity on our Service, such as the pages you visit, the links you click, and the activities you conduct on our Service. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to use some of the features offered on our Service.
- Information collected by third parties. We may allow third parties, including our conference-planning clients, conference sponsors and exhibitors and advertising companies to display advertisements on our Service. These companies may use tracking technologies, such as cookies, to collect information about users who view or interact with their advertisements. Our Service does not provide any personal information to these third parties, other than what is publicly available on our Service under the Attendees, Sponsors and Exhibitor pages.
How we use the information we collect
In general. We may use information that we collect about you to:
- Operate the Service, such as display the conference, reunion, event or gathering information to you in a format appropriate for your specific mobile device;
- to deliver other products and services that you have requested;
- share information you have voluntarily provided about yourself with other registered attendees, sponsors and exhibitors who are attending the same conference, reunion, event or gathering;
- provide you with customer support;
- perform research and analysis about your use of, or interest in, parts of our Service, content, or products, and services or content offered by others;
- communicate with you or allow our conference-planning clients, other attendees or sponsors or exhibitors to communicate with you by e-mail and/or mobile devices about products or services related to the specific conference, reunion, event or gathering that may be of interest to you;
- develop and display content and advertising tailored to your interests on our Service, such as the event sessions that you would like to attend;
- enforce our Terms of Service;
- manage our business; and
- perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
With whom we share your information
We want you to understand when and with whom we may share personal or other information we have collected about you or your activities on our web site, while using our Service or through our conference-planning clients.
Personal information. We do not share your personal information with others except as indicated below or when we inform you and give you an opportunity to opt out of having your personal information shared. We may share personal information with:
- Our conference-planning clients. For the purpose of understanding usage of our Service, interest level in certain aspects of the conference, reunion, event or gathering, and for other purposes, we may share personal information with our conference-planning partners to offer you products, services, promotions, surveys and additional functionality on our Service.
- Other Situations. We also may disclose your information:
- In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from a law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us.
- When we believe disclosure is appropriate in connection with efforts to investigate, prevent, or take other action regarding illegal activity, suspected fraud or other wrongdoing; to protect and defend the rights, property or safety of our company, our users, our employees, or others; to comply with applicable law or cooperate with law enforcement; or to enforce our website terms and conditions or other agreements or policies.
- In connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Aggregated and non-personal information. We may share aggregated and non-personal information we collect under any of the above circumstances. We may also share it with third parties to develop and deliver targeted advertising on our Service. We may combine non-personal information we collect with additional non-personal information collected from other sources. We also may share aggregated information with third parties, including advisors, advertisers and investors, for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. For example, we may tell our clients the number of visitors to our Service and the most popular features or services accessed. This information does not contain any personal information and may be used to develop Service content and features that we hope you and other users will find of interest and to target content and advertising.
Your Profile Information
If you have not been asked by us or our conference-planning clients to fill out an information profile nor have you expressed permission to include personal information on the Service, the personal information about you that will be viewable by other users, attendees, sponsors and exhibitors will typically be limited to your name, professional affiliation and title, and if the conference is a reunion, your class year, and/or other defining group chosen by our conference-planning clients. We will not publish your email address or other specific contact information on the Service without your consent, which may be obtained directly by us or through our conference-planning clients. If you have been asked to fill out a profile and you have elected to provide personal information, you will be given contact and other information at that time as to how you may change any profile information or opt-out of providing profile information. You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but that may result in you being unable to use certain features of our Service.
How we protect your personal information
We take appropriate security measures (including physical, electronic and procedural measures) to help safeguard your personal information from unauthorized access and disclosure. For example, only authorized employees are permitted to access personal information, and they may do so only for permitted business functions. In addition, we use encryption in the transmission of your sensitive personal information between your system and ours, and we use firewalls to help prevent unauthorized persons from gaining access to your personal information.
We want you to feel confident using our Service. However, no system can be completely secure. Therefore, although we take steps to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information, searches, or other communications will always remain secure. Users should also take care with how they handle and disclose their personal information and should avoid sending personal information through insecure e-mail. Please refer to the Federal Trade Commission’s website for information about how to protect yourself against identity theft.
There are risks associated with providing and posting personal information and communications
We may provide areas on our Service where you can post information about yourself and others and communicate with others or upload content (e.g., pictures). Such postings are governed by our Terms of Service. You should be aware that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information on a publicly-viewable service, that information will be publicly available and can be collected and used by others. For example, if you post your e-mail address, you may receive unsolicited messages. We cannot control who reads your posting or what other users may do with the information you voluntarily post, so we encourage you to exercise discretion and caution with respect to your personal information.
Our website is a general audience site, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13.
Visiting our Service from outside the United States
No Rights of Third Parties
How to contact us